Jan 21, 2009

Wrap it up!



After our holiday road trip I've been trying to make healthy dishes for dinner and trying not to eat too many carbs at night, so last week I made one of our favorites: Lettuce wraps!
These are super easy and delicious. Here is my super simple recipe:

INGREDIENTS::
_ 3 chicken breasts
_ soy sauce
_ lemon juice
_ 4 garlic cloves
_ 1/2 chopped yellow onion
_ 1/2 chopped red pepper
_ 1/2 chopped green pepper
_ fresh ginger
_ 1/2 cup of sliced carrots (i used mini carrot sticks)
_ salt, pepper, chili powder, chili flakes (plus anything you like!)
_ lettuce (i like boston lettuce because it can hold the chicken nicely)
_ extras: cilantro, green onions, cashews


DIRECTIONS::
_ Cut up the chicken breast in small pieces and if you have time, marinate it in some soy sauce, lemon juice, salt & pepper
_ Saute chopped garlic, peppers and onions until tender. Add the chicken and let it brown
_ Add the ginger, the spices and the carrots (i like to add them last to keep them crunchy)
_ At this point I usually add a little bit of water or chicken stock if I have. Just enough so it all comes together and you get a nice little extra juice.
_ Cut the head of lettuce in half, then in half again and put some leafs in a plate (be delicate so they don't break)
_Extras: I like to cut up some scallions, cilantro and crush a few cashews.

I like bringing all the things to the table, that way everybody can make their own. Make sure you have some good hot sauce too to give it a little kick. Feel free to add more veggies or any spices you like. You can totally make this whole think mexican style and add some black beans. Be creative!

4 comments:

Heaven's Eye Phtotography said...

Amy passed on your blog knowing that I am always on the lookout for new recipes:) I am on a new diet since the MS diagnoses and I love when I can find new (HEALTHY) treats. I love lettuce wraps and I am excited to add one of your recipes to the new cookbook. Keep em' coming:) Thanks. Kathy

Amy said...

Yeah Carla! This looks bomb!! I am all over it for our sunday supper!! Glad Kathy can come over here and get some good ideas for some clean eatin'!!! Keep spreading the love to our bellies lady!

Amy said...

OK, I could'nt wait, made them tonight, we devoured them! THANK YOU CARLA! YUM!

Amy said...

Oh and I see that Saracha hot sauce in the bottom pic! I put that on everything asian we eat! Cock a doodle doo rooster! YEAH!