Aug 10, 2009

Banana bread


My hubby LOVES bananas, he eats one pretty much every day. But he likes them only when they are still greenish. I like them when they are all nice yellow. We both hate them extra ripe, so when we have a few I always try to make something good out of them — like muffins or banana bread. This time I made banana bread and added some coconut for extra texture and flavor... and also just because i can! I found this recipe online, changed a few things and wrote it down on a piece of paper. Today i can't find the original, so here is my version. I really think is one of the best ones i've made, it's SUPER moist and easy. With a nice cup of coffee is heaven.

INGREDIENTS::
_ 1 2/3 cup of flour (I used 1 whole wheat and 2/3 regular)
_ 1 tsp baking soda
_ 1/4 tsp cinnamon
_ 1/4 tsp salt
_ 2/3 cup sugar
_ 2 eggs
_ 1/2 cup melted butter
_ 3 bananas (smashed)
_ 2 tbsp yogurt
_ 1 tsp vanilla extract
_ 1/2 cup walnuts
_ 1/2 cup coconut (optional)

DIRECTIONS::
_ Preheat oven to 350ยบ
_ Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt. Set aside.
_ Beat sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. About 8 minutes. Add the butter and mix.
_ Add the bananas, the yogurt and the vanilla.
_ Fold dry ingredients. Add the nuts and coconut if using (you can also add some chocolate chips!)
_ Cook for 45 to 1hr

After you make this you'll repeat after me: "I'll NEVER throw away bananas ever again" :)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Carla - try this next time - instead of melting your butter, leave it out till its room temp (just soft enough for your blender to deal with it) Then beat the butter & sugar for 3 minutes. Mix in the flour combo till it has the consistency of brown sugar. Then mix in your egg.
Your bread will be light and fluffy and even more amazing! :)

Amy said...

I made it EXACTLY how you posted and it was fantastic!! Thanks! I can't wait to have cup o joe tomorrow with it! YUMMO! Love ya!

suruchi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
suruchi said...

this is some tasty banana bread and the best part? you made it in 15 minutes flat... super woman!!!! come over any time.....