Mar 24, 2010

The Pound Cake

I absolutely love pound cakes, it just reminds me of home. My mom always made them growing up, not necessarily for a special occasion, just to have around the house for "merienda" (our middle of the day snack) and cafecito (a small cup of coffee, our Venezuelan espresso).  So the other day I just woke up wanting to have this delicious cake around the house, for breakfast, snack and dessert.





If you've never made pound cake you'll find the ratio kinda weird, but trust me i'll be perfect! Here's my mom Anamelia's recipe:

Ingredients::
6 eggs
3 sticks of butter (softened)
3 cups of sugar
4 cups of flour
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 lemon zest

Directions::
Preheat oven to 350ยบ
Mix the butter and sugar until nice and creamy
Add the eggs, one by one
Slowly add the flour and mix. Add the lemon zest
Pour into a buttered and floured pan (that's the way mom does it!)
Bake for 1 hr or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean

Topping::
You'll have to eye ball this one: Start with 2 cups of confectioners sugar and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and mix. Keep adding lemon juice or water until you reach the right consistency, you want it to be a little runny but not too much, kinda like honey. Pour all over the cake and top with some more lemon zest!



I love it with coffee in the morning, its so nice and dense you can actually dunk it in your cup... yum!


NOTE: After reading this post, my friends at how2heroes.com asked me to make a video of it, of course I said yes :) Check it out: Anamelias Pound Cake!




1 comment:

suruchi said...

Pat a cake pat a cake baker's
(wo)man
Make me a cake as fast as you can....

i cant wait to visit you, if nothing else for this cake ;)