May 17, 2009

One with the chicken

I did it! YES, i'm pretty excited... i broke down a whole chicken all by myself! First, I had to watch the video a few times to get a really good idea on how to do it. Then, I felt pretty confident on the steps and I just went for it! William does make it look pretty easy—not that it's complicated but it is kinda hard to cut/break the bones and make it look as clean as he did. But i'm sure with some practice i'll get better.


After I cut up the chicken, I divided the pieces in half and marinated them 2 ways. The fist marinade is what I use most of the time when I make chicken, it's super simple and fresh. The second marinade it's more like a rub and it's all about whatever hot spices you have. Then it was off to the grill and also make my sides: corn ragout and a super simple lettuce/tomato salad.


MARINADE 1 (taken from here but changed up a bit)
_ 4 garlic cloves
_ about 1/2 cup of fresh parsley
_ juice of 1/2 lemon
_ red chili flakes
_ salt & pepper to taste
_ olive oil

_I usually just cut everything up pretty small and add the oil, but this time I used my mortar (inspired  by josh & William's video). Either way it comes out super good. 

MARINADE 2 
_ cover your chicken pieces with lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper, then add any hot spices you have. I used: chili powder, paprika, cumin and garlic powder.

We've never made wings or drums on the grill before and i have to say they came out amazing—crunchy and crusty on the outside and super juice on the inside. Lucky for my husband I only like the chicken breast, so he loved eating all the dark meat all by himself. 
My only advice: make sure you don't overcook the chicken!




3 comments:

suruchi said...

i had to watch the video several times too and i'm vegetarian!! ;)

looks yummy and maybe i'll try the marinade on tofu but it doesnt sound right. oh well as i said lucky lucky eugene....

Amy said...

Tonight baby! Thanks Carla....this looks sooo good! I love this blog...yeah!

Amy said...

Hey wanted to let you know I made this with Chicken thighs (with the bone/skin) and they were amazing! I want to try next time with boneless/skinless thighs (I like the darker meat!) Anyway, Josh was really happy thanks again for the recipie!!